Friday, December 11, 2015

Are you an icicle yet?

So I'm one month into my foray into moneyless accommodation, graciously provided by Peter. There have of course been some challenges, but I'm very happy that I decided to do this. As yuletide approaches I am about to fly to see my family in the US for Christmas. This is of course completely opposed to my whole ideology (the way of getting there, I mean), but I hope I can be excused just this once. I won't be back in my tent for almost a month, so I think this is a good place to stop and give an update.

An unintended result of living in a tent is the local interest! I've had an interview for a local magazine as well as with a TV station (both of which I'll find a way of sharing online). I'm rather surprised at the lack of negativity towards my chosen lifestyle. People do of course point out my inconsistencies but usually seem to be encouraging and inquisitive as to why I'm doing this. A result of this is that I feel under pressure to be more freegan, as I seem to be depicted by some as a sort of bastion of frugality and moneylessness. Unfortunately that's not what what I am at all, I'm just trying - and daily failing in many ways - to live with less money. Incidentally if you're looking for people who are more dedicated to the lifestyle then check out Daniel Suelo or Mark Boyle.

I want to come clean on something else. I have not slept in my tent every night since the last post. This is not due to any physical challenges of living in a tent, but instead due to a quite unexpected and mind blowing circumstance. That is, I'm seeing someone. And yes, she has a conventional home. I could wax lyrical about all of that but I don't want to go off on a tangent and I don't want to embarrass said person. The upshot of this staggeringly unlikely event is that I've only spent around 50% of the nights in my tent. I am still nonetheless rent free.

Peter's garden is probably one of the best places that one could live in a tent. Peter and his partner Lee are avid couchsurfing hosts and as a result I get to meet new faces most mornings or evenings. I even had a tent buddy for a couple of weeks (in separate tents)! Being the socialites that they are, Peter and Lee host parties with live local music which bring in people from all walks of life (including crazy chemists who live in tents). My 'homelessness' has brought me into contact with far more people than I could have imagined.

Thanks again to Peter for agreeing to let me do this. It's been an adventure so far. See you in the new year!

I thought I'd answer a couple of FAQs - mostly to do with the practicalities of living in a tent.

Aren't you cold?
When I'm sleeping, no actually. I have some decent gear. Sometimes I have to put on an extra pair of socks. It can be difficult to coax my body out of the cocoon and into the cold morning air though.

Where do you shower/use the toilet/charge your phone?
Uni, or of course if I'm at a friend's place then I do it there.

Cooking?
Often on my small gas burner. Incidentally I burned a small hole in the tent a couple of days ago which I should repair when I get back.

Where do you study?
I find this question quite funny. Universities by their nature are extremely well equipped for studying... so I study there.

That's all for now, Merry Christmas!


2 comments:

  1. I'm more interested in what exactly you are digging out the bins. (:D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an entire post in itself actually. But mostly fruit, veg and bread.

      Delete